1 cup wheat flour / gluten free option also possible
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon table salt (kosher salt)
225 g (1 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2/3 cup honey
4 large eggs, at room temperature
3 tablespoons milk, preferably whole milk, slightly warmed
1 tablespoon grated orange zest
1/3 cup slivered almonds
For the glaze / syrup:
2/3 cup honey
1/4 cup water
3/4 teaspoon lemon juice
POSSIBLE TOPPING OPTIONS FOR SERVING
Vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, tea or coffee
- Preheat your oven to 175°C. Grease and flour a 23cm round baking pan.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Put aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the softened butter and honey. Add the eggs one at a time and mix well. Add the milk and grated orange zest and stir until the batter is almost completely smooth.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix gently until just combined. Fold in the chopped almonds.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and smooth out with a spatula. Bake for about 35-40 minutes.
- Take the cake out of the oven and let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Then turn out onto a wire rack and let cool completely.
- Prepare the syrup. Slowly boil the honey and water in a saucepan over medium-high heat for 5 minutes. Add the lemon juice and cook for another 2 minutes. Remove from heat, let cool for 10 minutes, then pour over top of cake.
Slice the honey cake with almonds and serve!
This recipe yields a moist and flavorful honey cake with the added bite of the almonds and a touch of citrus thanks to the orange zest. It is perfect for any occasion or as a sweet treat with a cup of mountain tea or coffee.
Organic Greek HONEY